10/6/10

Overprotective

I am pretty sure I am an overprotective mother.  I have never been formally accused by anyone but I would probably categorize myself as one.  I am a stay at home mother.  I have met my children's every need since the day they were born.

Last night was a momentous occasion.  Last night we allowed someone we are not related to into our home to babysit our children.  This mommy let loose a little.

Brian and I wanted to attend a concert.   Generally when we have a "date night" they occur on the weekends because more often than not we have relatives visiting.  Since last night was a week night, we did not have guests.  We live a few hours away from our nearest family members so a family babysitter was not an option.

We decided to seek out a babysitter.  We did not have to look very far.  Brice attends weekly speech therapy sessions at the university and the graduate students who work with him have often volunteered their babysitting services.  We decided last night would be a good time to take them up on their offer.

Kaylor, a therapist who has worked with Brice for some time said she was available.  She is wonderful.  The kids were definitely in good hands.  We think a lot of Miss Kaylor and will probably ask her to come to our home again to play with our boys.  They love her.  Brice woke up this morning and said, "Oh no Mom! Kaylor's lost!"  Apparently, he thought Kaylor would be staying with us.  She is pretty great.

This mommy and daddy team are going to start going out more often, during the week!  I am going to start letting go a little bit.  I am still fiercely protective of my boys but I have learned a night out is good for us all.

4 comments:

S.I.F. said...

As someone who did a lot of responsible babysitting back in the day (seriously - I was a rocking babysitter!) all I have to say is; way to go lady!

And how perfect that it be somebody the kids already know and like! Love it!

shelley said...

I am the same way!! With Mike and I both working nights, to this day I'm still leary to have a non-family member stay the night at our house or just babysit for date night. Maybe I could try the date night thing :) Can you send Kaylor my way LOL!!!

J said...

I'm so happy you two got a date night and it looks like you have a great sitter! It is okay to be protective of your babies! :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE having access to great sitters, because much as I love my kids, I also REALLY love nights with the husband on actual dates!
Congrats on getting out there in the dating world ;) ;)