7/26/12

Parental Reality

Sunday afternoon we were enjoying a relaxing day as a family.  Brian had fallen asleep on the couch, I was laying nearby watching a movie, the boys were playing quietly in their room, Avenn was napping in her crib.

The boys were quietly playing which should have been our first clue.  Quiet and the boys do not normally appear in the same breath.  We should have seen the low level of noise as a red flag.  We didn't.

Rogan came walking into the living room with a single tear running down his right cheek and said "Mom, I have a bead in my nose".

Me: "I'm sorry what?!"

Rogan:  "I stuck a bead a in my nose"

Me:  "Really?  Why?  Get the flashlight."

After a quick inspection all I saw was blue.   It was really up in there and I knew I couldn't get it with tweezers.

I woke Brian telling him he needed to take his son to urgent care because he stuck a bead up his nose.  I will spare you his response because it included a four letter word.

Rogan is four.  Surely he knows by this point in his life you just can't be shoving items into your schnoz.  I mean come on.  He in fact took the time and care to take apart a necklace his brother made at youth group and very purposely shoved the blue bead in his nose.  Well done son.  Well done.

The physician was able to remove the bead after a lot of digging but Brian said he was a trooper and we are pretty sure he learned a very valuable lesson.

Beads in the nose are a reality of parenting.  The real stuff nobody warns you about.  Everyone loves to tell you about the heart melting moments shared with your kids. You know, those moments that make your heart swell with pride and love.  I am here to tell you those moments exist and they are wonderful but so do beads in the schnoz.  So, now you know.  You have been warned and should expect those extra special moments too.

Ahh parenting, it is truly never dull.  Fortunately, when the bead is free and everyone is back to breathing normally you can sit back and laugh about it or blog about it.  Whichever.

2 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

Oh yes, we've had our share of items up the nose. Tali was a chronic nose stuffer for a while there. Usually oats and rice. We found that having the children blog their nose while plugging the other nostril is pretty effective. Or using a bulb syringe to suction it out.

Mrs. D'Amico said...

Oh my! Never a dull moment, I'm sure! Glad it came out and he is good now. I loved your response "Really? Why?" I'd say the same thing!!