11/17/13

Superman

And just like that...wham!

As I've said before we have always been open with our kids about being adopted.  We answer any and all questions honestly and age appropriately.  Generally Rogan is the only one who has shown any interest in knowing about his adoption.

Today, I took the kids to run a few errands while Brian was at the office.  As we were driving home, out of the clear blue, Brice blurts out "Mom do you love dad?"  I was confused by the question but answered "of course!"  He then said that must be why the other mommy gave me to you.  Because I love his dad so much and we'd love Brice too.

Brice is not a talker.  He's a silent assassin.  I knew he had been listening intently all those times that Rogan asked me questions and voiced his curiosities.  He never showed any interest, he never had any questions but he's been processing it all.  He has been playing it all out in his mind and developing his own conclusions.

We knew this day would come.  We knew he would have questions and have to work through his adoption.  We continued our conversation in the car today and even listed all the people we know that are adopted.  After naming everyone we knew I said "Oh yeah, don't forget Superman.  He was adopted."  Brice's mouth fell open.  Superman?  He had forgotten because I'd mentioned this before but nonetheless he was impressed.

The questions will always be there.  You never know when they will come out.  Our kids generally just blurt them out and you get no warning.  Oh and they never corner their father.  Thank God for Superman.




1 comment:

April said...

That reminds me - When my 4 year old adopted daughter found out that Batman adopted Robin, she thought maybe we could adopt him. He would be a pretty cool brother.