3/7/12

My Adopted Son

A few months ago I slipped and said something I thought was hilarious but the person I was speaking to probably thought I was a total loon. It's possible I even blogged about this and completely forgot.  If so, feel free to skip this post and wait for the next.

For some reason yesterday, the whole episode popped into my head again so here goes...

Around the holidays Brice had a party at school.  Brian and I do our best to always make sure one of us attends. I was in his class to party down kindergarten style and speaking to one of the other mothers. Suddenly, Brice's little bud Davin yelled, "Hey Anna!" waved and ran over to me. I proceeded to point out our sweet Brice and then explained how we know little Davin.

We take Davin to school a few days a week.  Davin is at our house a lot and has become one of ours. As I started to explain to the other mother I said, "and this is my adopted son Davin".  Then I started to giggle and couldn't stop.  I had just called Davin my adopted son. I thought it was hilarious but she probably thought I was a whack job for laughing.  It's funny how we eventually forget our actual kids are not biologically ours.

The classroom mom had no idea our children actually are adopted.  She had no clue we are adoptive parents and saying that our friend's child is our "adopted son" is pretty comical given how our family was formed.  If she had known, she would have understood my laughter.  We don't hide our adoptions but we do not broadcast them to strangers either.

Someone once said to me giving birth is a very small part of being a mother.

I think that is very true.  After while, you're just a mother and that is all that matters.

3 comments:

S.I.F. said...

I love this! I had MANY who "adopted" me as a child... I think it is a perfect descriptor, because your babies are just yours now - no need to add in the adopted for them!

Jamie said...

This is SO true! I look at my daughter sometimes and can't wrap my mind around the fact that I didn't give birth to her because I feel that I have always been her mom and was always meant to be!

Amy said...

Lol, I would totally do that too, and we have a blended group of kids (by birth and adoption) :-)