9/1/10

Tough Cookie

Following our recent attempt to adopt again, I have received this comment several times "I don't know how you do it?"

Me neither.  Then I spoke to Road Trippin' Granny.

On her latest road trip to Colorado to visit family she fell down and broke her femur.   She was released from her live in rehabilitation facility today, ahead of schedule.  She has exceeded everyone's expectations during her physical therapy.  My parents drove out yesterday to drive her back to her house in Kansas and to stay with her while she finishes healing and gets back on her feet.

Grandma called me the other day to see how I was doing after the adoption attempt.  We played phone tag a few times and I finally got a hold of her Monday.  She asked me how I was doing and gave me a little pep talk then she said, "You know Anna, we're tough cookies.  We have to be."  Oh Grandma, that's the best advice I've received through this whole mess.

So, the next time someone asks me how we have made it through infertility, two failed adoptions and two successful adoptions my response is just going to be, "I'm one tough cookie.  I get it from my Grandma."



These pictures of Granny were taken a day before she broke her leg.  She hiked more than a mile in the Colorado mountains that day.

3 comments:

shelley said...

I agree!! You've always been a tough cookie!!
(((hugs)))

Envyshope said...

Love it! Great answer!

Amber said...

Aw, I love it! I've been getting that question a LOT lately, too. I never know how to answer it. The truth is I have no idea how I've survived three failed adoptions (and zero successful ones!). But you're right, what choice do we have? We can crumble, or we can be tough cookies! :)