2/15/11

Nature vs. Nurture

Nature versus nurture is always a hot topic in the adoption world.  I do not have the answers.  I do however have an adopted 5 year old. Here is my conversation with Brice this morning...

Me:  Brice, hustle it up buddy we're running late.  Quit acting like a squirrel and get in the bath tub.


Brice:  (staring at me with a look of pure seriousness)  I am not a squirrel.  I'm Batman.

Sarcasm.  I believe he may have picked this up from his parents. Nurture.

As Brice and his dad were headed out the door this morning we said our goodbyes.

Brice: See ya squirrel!

More sarcasm.  Again, I believe this could be the by product of his father and I.  Nurture.

By no means am I suggesting I have the answers.  This post was merely for fun.  If you want real information on nature versus nurture, here are some links...
Nature & Nurture:  A New Look At How Families Work  
The Childhood Development Nature vs. Nurture Debate Continues
Nature vs. Nurture:  Twin and Adoption Studies

3 comments:

Elizabeth @ My Life, Such as it is... said...

Charlie would've said "I'm not a squirrel. I'm Charlie" with emphasis. Nurture definitely applies to him - he is just like his father in oh so many many ways!

Sally Bacchetta said...

Cute post. I'm a big fan of sarcasm! I often think that my responsibility is to nurture my kids' nature.

Penelope said...

Lol! We killed Batman, ER, I mean, banished Batman from our home. I Batman has been a common outburst in our home. Especially when misbehaving! Have a great week!