11/4/11

Are They Yours Yours?

Today, I took our youngest two kiddos to the new Sam's Club built near our home.  It was our first visit to the new club so I stopped by the membership desk to get our newly minted membership and begin our downward spiral into buying all things oversized and in bulk.  Note:  If you are looking for an investment opportunity you might look into Sam's Club stock because I'm quite certain now that the Mitchells are on board their stock is going to rise due to the amount spent on diapers, wipes, formula and beef jerky.

While waiting for the young man to enter all of our pertinent information his manager/co-worker started looking over my little family.  She commented about how pretty Avenn is and that Rogan is a cutie.  Well duh.  I agreed and thanked her.

She said, "are they yours yours?"  Confused, I responded that I didn't understand. She said again "ya know yours yours..are they yours?"  My first thought was well who else's would they be, then my second thought was ohhhh she must think I'm babysitting (because I'm such a young mother and all- HA!).

Finally I answered, if you mean are they my biological children; no they are not.  What made you ask me that?  Is it because we have varying complexions?

She didn't miss a beat and didn't think for a half second that her question might be off the mark. She said, I just wondered.  His dad could be dark like him.  She then showed me a picture of her daughter on her phone who looked EXACTLY like her and said, my daughter could never deny she's mine.  I guess that was supposed to mean mine could.  I don't know.

Sensing how inappropriate her questions were her much younger coworker said, it doesn't matter a bit where they come from they ARE yours.  I agreed and said I couldn't love them any differently if I had birthed them myself.

Thankfully, my membership was ready. The dude snapped my picture and we were on our way.  I absolutely never mind answering adoption related questions.  I'll advocate anywhere...even at Sam's, but think before you ask.  I hope this woman realized she needs to rephrase and perhaps be a little less forward.

In other news, my license plate is drawing attention.  I have been asked several times where and how I got my adoption plate.  The most exciting run in I have had involved an elderly man pulling up next to me in the McDonald's drive thru, getting out of his truck, stepping in front of my vehicle scaring the life out of me.  He yelled, "where'd ya get that plate!?"  It took me a second.  After regaining normal cardiac rhythm, I told him and he hopped back in his truck then drove off.

Spreading the word I guess!

Have a great weekend!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Vicky said...

When you posted about the OK license plate I went to my state (MO) DOR to see if there was an adoption plate. I'm in a conundrum. We have "Stop Child Abuse" which supports the foster care system and "Chose Life" which supports adoption. I think I'll go with the Child Abuse one cause the Chose life doesn't actually say adoption anywhere, and the foster system always needs more help.

Maru said...

"Think before you ask" is right. The problem is people don't think! But really, showing you the picture wasn't bad at all. The comment that followed was kind of rude... You are awesome. You handled it so well! I would've snapped! :oP And the younger coworker? Excellent!