12/4/09

Protective of Birth Mothers

I find myself becoming protective of the birth mothers of our boys.  I take it personally when someone says something condescending about them.  For instance, as I've said before Brice was speech delayed.  He has improved immensely and now talks non stop and cracks me up on a daily basis.

While at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago, I ran into a local professional who knows the boys are adopted.  She asked if Brice was talking now and how he was doing.  I told her he had started speech therapy and was talking up a storm.  She was glad to hear it and stated she wondered if something had happened in utero that may have caused his delay.

I brushed the comment off and excused myself stating my family was waiting in the car, which they were.  I said my goodbye and headed for the checkout.  I didn't tell Brian about what she said, but it bothered me.  I continued to think about it and became defensive about it.

I take offense when judgments are made about the birth families of our boys. Few know anything about their birth families because we feel it's personal information that doesn't need to be shared.  People do however make assumptions and judgments.  I cannot stop them, but it will continue to frustrate me.  Not all birth families are addicted and poverty stricken.

2 comments:

~~Kallie~~ said...

I hear you... I get just as defensive about comments made regarding my children's birth parents. I hate that people make assumptions about things and then feel they have the right to make comment, often in front of my children...

Celee said...

You're leaving your boys a wonderful legacy of love. You can never have too many people in your life who love you and I think it's wonderful that you remind your sons of their birth mothers' love for them.