1/10/11

Only Child

A very common question I am asked is, what is it like to be an only child?  Many people who adopt are only able to adopt one time and they worry about raising an only child.  Since my husband and I are both only children, although neither of us adopted, I am often asked about being an only.

We have discussed our childhoods as only children and for us, being an only child was no big deal.  We were not raised as only children really, we both had either cousins or friends around all the time.  Brian was raised closely with a younger cousin and I always had friends around and we vacationed with family and several cousins.

I think the most important part of raising an only child is to make sure other children are around.  I was never alone.  I was active in community activities, playing with friends or neighbors and on vacations I was always able to bring a friend or family was near.  Me being an only worked out great for my childhood best friend.  She traveled all over with us and enjoyed some great vacations.

On the weekends friends spent the night, even if it was the two neighbor boys.  These brothers were like my own brothers when I was little.  Our parents were great friends and the boys were like my family.  I was between them in age and we spent most of our childhoods together.  We camped out in the living room playing games and watching movies.  We played wiffle ball in the backyard from dawn until dusk.   I certainly was never bored.

Our friends, neighbors and even our adoption social worker tease us about being only children who have family around more than those with large families.  It's true, we call our house Hotel Mitchell.  Rarely is there a vacancy.  Most weekends are spent with family.

I believe children are able to grow up to be well adjusted, unselfish, successful adults even when they are only children.  Brian and I turned out alright...at least we think so.

1 comment:

kkasun said...

So glad you posted about this, as I am pretty sure that this is what our situation will be!
It's always good to hear from people who actually experiecened it!