1/26/11

What Do You Do?

What do you do all day?  Don't you get bored?  I couldn't do it.  I would go crazy.

All common questions and comments I hear when some people find out I am a stay at home mother.  I often find myself defending my position as full time mom.  I tell them I have a degree but I chose to stay home.   Why do I do that?

I am so fortunate, I know it.  I am reminded almost daily of what a blessing it is for me to be home with my kids.  I do not miss out on anything.  I have seen their first steps, I watched them roll over, I have heard their first words, I have seem them change and grow.  Some days I accomplish nothing more than a few loads of laundry and playing dinosaurs.  I only have a short window of time my kids are going to want to play with their mom, I do not want to miss out on my chance.

Our youngest crawled up on the couch the other day and fell asleep with me rubbing his tummy.  I spent 30 minutes watching him sleep and soaking up those few minutes with him.  They grow so fast.  Soon they will be teenagers with their own lives and the idea of showing their mom any affection will make them cringe.

We do what we have to do to make sure our kids are cared for, I certainly would work if I needed to.  For our family, my husband earns the paycheck and sacrifices his time with our kids.  I definitely got the better end of the deal.

What do I do all day?  I raise our kids.
Do I get bored?  Nope.  I have two boys ages 2 and 5, enough said.
You couldn't do it?  That's too bad, you are missing out.
You would go crazy?  I am crazy.  Crazy about my family.

5 comments:

It is what it is said...

I have done both. I had the pleasure of being home full time with our son for the first 13 months of his life (some of my fondest memories and something I hope to be able to do with our next child), then worked more than full time outside the home for his next two years of life (while my husband was a stay at home dad, also an awesome experience for him), and am now home again while my husband works outside the home full time.

Having had both experiences what I find myself wondering is how did I get it all done when I was working? Somehow I managed the house, the errands, the appointments, paying the bills, arranging outings, hosting play dates, planning meals, grocery shopping, and cooking while working 50 hr weeks. Now that I am home and have the luxury of doing things when I want, in a more organized fashion, I still seem to just manage to get things done. What is clear, is that I am no longer stressed out when getting it all done. And that is a huge quality of life improvement for us all. Happy wife, happy life :)

Just Believing said...

Amen girl I hate when people are like " Oh lucky you" but said with that sarcastic tone...yes I am lucky to stay home and I know it but certainly doesnt mean I do nothing in fact I honestly feel some days I would like to be in th eoffice for 8 hours just to get a break! But anyways just relating to ya I totally understand!

Mostly Jessica said...

I've yet to get a comment like this, although I think it's because Utah is just such a family oriented place. Most women are jealous I get to work from home and be home with my kids all day! I'm one lucky gal!

The Meditative Mom said...

I loved this post. Why are people so darn judgy? I happen to think being a stay at home mom is the most important job a woman can take on. Thanks for sharing this!

Joy said...

As much as my daughter sometimes drives me nuts, I would give anything to be able to stay home with her. I look for ways at least twice a week, but my job pays the health insurance and pays down the debt from years of infertility treatments(not paid by insurance) and adoption costs. I try not to gripe because I am so bleassed to be a mother at all. You are truly blessed and others are just jealous :)