11/16/09

Anti-Adoption Movement

Have you heard about anti-adoption websites?  Have you viewed any of them?  I have spent no more than 5 minutes of my time looking into their websites.  I did a quick Google search and that was enough for me.  I didn't want to read any more.

I am thankful to be an American and for the freedoms we are provided.  Those freedoms also include the freedom of speech for all, even those we may not always agree with.  I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with their opinions and professions.  They are however entitled to express themselves just like I am.

I am truly saddened some people have a bad experience with adoption.   It is not right for birth mothers to feel forced into their decision and to suffer from their decision.  It is my opinion, and again my opinion means little except to me, that this is most often not the case.  I have met birth mothers and corresponded with birth mothers who did not regret their decision and did not live each day suffering with their decision to place their child with another family.

I certainly cannot speak for birth mothers, but I can speak of what I have been told.  I have listened to birth mothers discuss their experience and the pride they felt for the selfless decision they made.  They told stories of their personal struggles with their decision and how they came to decide to make an adoption plan.  They came to the adoption agency seeking help.  The agency counseled them and discussed their many options, including raising their child.  No one has told me of being pressured into their decision.  I am not so ignorant to believe that does not happen however.

I am certain some birth mothers are pressured and uncomfortable with their decision.  I also feel it was our responsibility to seek out an agency who would never pressure a birth parent.  It is also the responsibility of the agency or whomever you are working with to counsel the birth parents and provide the birth parents with many options and discuss each thoroughly.  If then, the birth parent choses to make an adoption plan, it was their decision and they are provided opportunities to change their mind.

I do believe adoption is necessary.  Not every person is prepared to parent or able to parent.  Options are needed.  As an adoptive parent, how else would I feel?  Without adoption we would not be a family, we would not have children to love.

1 comment:

Celee said...

I have very limited information about our son's birth mother, but what information I have leads me to believe that she couldn't care for him. And since we adopted internationally he had been in an orphanage 8 months when we met him. I've never heard of the anti-adoption movement so I can't comment there, except to say that God brings grace and mercy to us in a variety of different methods. I think in the case of our son, He brought him out of an institution with no hope for his future and brought him into a loving family that shares Christ with Him everyday. Our son seems very spiritually sensitive compared to our other kids. He's the first one to remind us if we forgot to pray and he always begs for family worship in the evenings when others of us are more easily distracted. He's such a blessing to us and we're also a blessing to him. God is good!