11/17/09

Uh, Not This Momma

The oddest adoption moment I experienced was soon after the birth of our youngest son.  A nurse approached me in the NICU and asked me if I wished to schedule an appointment with the lactation consultant.  My immediate response was "No, we're adopting him."  She replied adoptive mothers who choose to breastfeed is not uncommon.  My response "Uh, not this momma."

To be honest, breastfeeding never crossed my mind.  Never even considered it.  I learned that day it was an option.  Even after learning it was an option, it still wasn't an option to me.  It seemed, I don't know, weird.

Why do I even bring this up?  To let you know it is an option.  If you decide this option is something you would like to explore there are resources. Here is a list of a few websites which may be helpful.

My babies were formula fed.  I bonded with my boys without issue.  Their immune systems are excellent.  My boys have never had ear infections, breathing treatments, or major illnesses.  I'm just saying...

4 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

You're funny! It is nice to know the hospital let you know it was an option and for you to share that it is an option. Breastfeeding isn't for everyone and no one should feel ashamed for the choices they make. Either direction.

kalibug said...

My daughter was formula fed too, and no ear infections, when other kids get sick, not my kid. I knew someone that was pushing it and pushing it on me and treated me like I have no clue how to raise a child. Well, my child is doing great! It is not for everyone.

Troop 220 said...

I did consider breast feeding with my children, but then I realized that both my husband and I could take turns feeding. He bonded as well as I did and let me just say that the night feedings went very smooth. I got more rest because we took turns. Just another perk to adopting. :)

Becky said...

I was teaching 2nd grade while waiting to adopt our first child. I had a mom in the class that was the biggest breastfeeding advocate I think I have ever seen or heard! She constantly wanted to talk to me about how adoptive mothers could breastfeed, get me literature about it, etc.
I tried kindly for a long time to tell her I wasn't interested. Even if I had had natural chldren, I never thought that would be 'for me'.
I don't remember how but, I finally got her to lighten up on me about it!

I did have an adoptive mom friend that tried it for awhile but, it just didn't happen like she'd hoped it would.