11/27/09

I'm An Adoptee Too

A friend I have known since kindergarten answers my questions.
32 year old male
1. How old were you when you were adopted?
I was a newborn
2. How were you told you had been adopted and at what age?

12 and my parents told me at the dinner table
3. Were you ever spoken to in a negative way about being adopted by friends, classmates or family members? 
 My parents had said a few times that they wished they had gotten another kid instead of me and that they could tell I was not theirs.

4. How did you handle questions or comments about your adoption?
Never really had questions from anyone, my friends were very supportive and most of them were adopted as well.
5. Did you ever seek out your birth parent(s)? 

I did but was told I could not find them.
6. Were your adoptive parents supportive of your decision to meet or to find your birth parent(s)?

They acted like they were but they knew I could never find them, because my files were           sealed
7. What made you want to find your birth parent(s) or to meet them?

Started out just wanting to know why they didn't want me but then after my parents             started to say things to me it made me want to find them more even though I knew I could never find them.
8. Has adoption affected you positively or negatively?

I think in the long run it has been negative.
9. Do you have siblings? Biological or adopted?

adopted sister
10. If you have adopted siblings, was it beneficial to have someone you could relate to?

My sister was adopted as well but we havent spoken in years partially because of the way I was adopted.
11. Do you view adoption in a positive light?

I do because there are alot of good people that would be great parents and I would not be alive if that weren't true
12. Would you like to adopt? Why?

Yes I want to adopt, I want to give a child a chance and a great home
13. Any advice for adoptive parents whose children may be experiencing negative feelings about being adopted?

Just be honest with them about anything they have questions on
14. What would be your number one piece of advice for adoptive parents?
Don't hide anything
15. Anything else you would like to share? Anything prospective adoptive parents or those who have already adopted should know?

Don't talk negative to them about it and don't hold it over their head

3 comments:

Celee said...

I can't imagine not telling our son he was adopted until he was 12! That must have been quite a shock! Our son is 3 and because I always wanted him to know he was adopted, but not make a big deal out of it, I made up a little saying with his names and how he came all the way from Kazakhstan to mommy and daddy, and etc all the way through the family. He's just recently started saying he wants us to adopt another baby boy from Kazakhstan.

Mike and Katie said...

Please Lord, guard my tongue that I don't say anything in seriousness or jest that makes my kid feel like I don't want them.

That's too bad his parents said such thoughless things. Sometimes bio kids don't always act the way you wish they would either, but God chose them for our children so we better love them the way he does.

Tammy said...

This just shows what an impact adoptive parents have. It can be positive like my story or negative due to actions of the adoptive parents.