11/18/09

Post Adoption Depression Syndrome

PADS- Post Adoption Depression Syndrome

Post partum depression is widely known and acknowledged by the general community as part of the birthing process.  Adoptive parents can experience depression post placement.  However, PADS is less acknowledged and accepted.

It seems backward to experience depression after placement of the child you have longed for.  After working through infertility, the adoption process, waiting to be chosen, money concerns, it does not seem you would have anything else to worry about when your baby finally arrives.  It is reported that 65% of adoptive parents experience PADS.

PADS is something adoptive parents should be aware of and mindful of the symptoms which include:
Depression
Anxiety
Irritability
Lack of interest in normal activities
Significant loss of weight or weight gain
Insomnia
Feeling of worthlessness
Unable to concentrate
Suicidal thoughts
Unable to bond with your baby

If you feel you might be experiencing PADS you should consult your physician.  Remember, it is completely normal and very common.

Brian and I did not experience PADS, but we had some irritability, sleeplessness, and emotional outbursts.  Actually, I would say most of those symptoms were mine not his.  It is completely normal to suddenly feel overwhelmed and out of sorts.  I remember my new mother meltdown after Brice was born.  

Brice was about a month or two old and had been up most of the night.  It was around 1 p.m. and Brice was still fussing.  Brian came by the house because he had forgotten something for work.  I was bathing Brice in an attempt to relax him and hopefully get him to sleep.  I had not bathed, hadn't even been able to go the restroom that day.  I was fussy as well and wanted more than anything to get a shower.  Brian breezed through the front door, hollered out to us, picked up whatever he needed, and went skipping toward the door.  Not really skipping, but seemed like it.

My response, I began to cry and whine.  I complained about how gross I felt, how badly I needed to go to the restroom and to get a shower.  I accused Brian of being carefree and unthoughtful.  I was appalled he would not watch his child for five mere minutes so I could have a shower.  Of course, he was oblivious to my plight.  He would have watched the baby had I only asked.  He did, I showered, and the universe was aligned once again.  

My point in sharing that embarrassing tale is everyone has their moments.  It is part of becoming a new parent.  There is a difference between being frazzled and PADS.  You may not be able to recognize it.  Talk to your friends, family and neighbors.  If you ever feel too overwhelmed take your baby to a family member, sitter, or neighbor and regroup.  Also, do not be afraid to consult with your physician and seek help if you need it.

For additional information on PADS visit:
http://adoption.families.com/blog/post-adoption-depression
http://www.adopting.org/pads.html
http://library.adoption.com/articles/post-adoption-depression-.html

No comments: