3/31/10

Adoption Fears Part II

A common fear for prospective adoptive parents who have biological children is will they love their adopted child(ren) as much as their biological child(ren).  Obviously, I am not qualified to speak on this issue having no biological children but I came across an email today I felt explained it well.  I asked Kiara for permission to post her email and she agreed.  Her email was in response to a parent looking into adoption who was fearful they may not love their adopted child as much as their biological child.  Here is what Kiara had to say:

Hi N,
I'm so glad you felt comfortable enough to ask that question.  Many parents who are considering growing their family through birth and adoption worry a little about whether they will love their children the same.  It's an important question to ask, and one that my husband and I are asked about fairly regularly.  We have 3 children, plus one on the way.  Our son by birth is 7, daughter by adoption is 5, and son by adoption is 3, and I'm pg with our 4th, another daughter. 
I worried at least a little about this, myself.  (But not enough to avoid adoption -- I couldn't wait to adopt. :)  My husband and I speak at our adoption agency about our experiences with open adoption, transracial adoption, etc. during their required education classes.  The way I explain that part of our journey to people is that the end result -- the deep, intimate, protective love for our child -- is the same for each child.  But the journey there is a little different.  For instance, when a Mama is pregnant, that love usually grows, slowly but deeply, during the pregnancy.  And when you meet your child, it's kind of like that love is solidified and then continues to grow in a new way as your child grows and you get to know him or her. 
In adoption, you look forward to, care about, wait for, and plan for this child, but until he or she is in your arms, the experience is not real enough for that incredibly deep (I would kill a bear, would lift a car, would die for this child) protective love to start growing.  For some it may happen pretty quickly after baby is in their arms, and for others it takes time, and that is perfectly okay.  We had fairly last-minute matches, and although I instantly cared very deeply for each of our children from the time they were in my arms, I found that the deeper, settled-in love grew over time. 
For instance, I remember a distinct moment with my daughter when she was a couple months old and I realized I *really* felt like I was her mom.  (I didn't feel like I wasn't her mom before this, but this showed me that feeling must have still been growing.)  We were at a big park, and my toddler son was playing in a splash pad.  My sister was with us, and she offered to push baby around in the stroller to help her go to sleep.  I said sure, and she said she'd be back in 15 or so.  Well, 20 - 25 minutes went by and I realized she wasn't back.  In my heart, I started to panic!  I realized I would be devastated w/o my baby, and was worried something had happened to them.  (A couple minutes later, she was back in sight – my sister had just gone further than she meant to.)  I remember that at that moment it struck me how fiercely protective I felt, and that I was ready to run all over that park to find them!  My love for my daughter had grown deeper, w/o me even realizing it. :)
I think the main thing is that in adoption it's important to realize that the actual bonding journey is different than with a child you gave birth to, and that's normal and doesn't reflect your long-term love and commitment to your child.  You will probably not feel the same toward your adopted child at 2 days old as you did toward your bio child at 2 days old.  But as time goes on, your love grows in leaps and bounds.  Before long you will probably feel very little difference.
In fact, for at least the first half of this pregnancy, I worried I wouldn't love this little girl as much as my other kiddos.  I *adore* my kiddos, and it drives me crazy that people think our family will be more complete now that we're expecting again.  Some have outright assumed I will love this child more, and more easily, but in reality I was worried -- just like I was with each of my kiddos before the next one joined our family -- that I wouldn't love her as much as the children already in our home.  I think it is a very normal Mama fear.  I have also worried about whether she'll be cute or not, will fit in, etc. LOL   Now that I'm nearing the end of the pregnancy, I don’t worry about that at all, and I cannot wait for her to arrive! 
That’s not to say that some things won’t be a little different about raising both biological and adopted children, but it's not a love thing.  For instance, when my oldest son behaves a certain way, I can sometimes look at his behavior and say, "Ugh -- I know about that.  He is acting just like I did – or my little brother did – at that stage", or "I remember having a passion for that exact same thing!"  But with my daughter, who is very strong-willed, feisty, verbal, etc. (and I know her birthmom well enough to know she gets ALL of that from her, LOL) I don't feel that same familiarity with her behaviors.  She has an outgoing confidence that I, my husband, and our bio son did not have at 3 - 5 yrs. old.  (We were all shy.)  And I love it!  We adore that about her, and it is now a great part of our family make-up, but it does not feel like a familiar family trait.  I hope that makes sense.  It's something that I've heard a few moms of bio and adopted kiddos talk about, so I thought I'd throw it out there also. :) 
Okay, enough of my rambling.  Please feel free to keep asking questions!  And I'd love to hear from other moms about this, too.  I’m curious whether others' experiences match my own.
Kiara

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

I have a bio son, and we are adopting son #2. this makes me feel so much better about my slowly growing feelings toward our new adopted baby. You're right, it is taking time, and there's love there, it's just probably not fully matured yet. This really helped me, thanks.

Anonymous said...

This is so eloquently stated! I am going to link to this post on my blog and FB page, if that is OK. I think this is a pretty common fear for all momma's expecting their second child- will I love my children the same??? But to touch on the nuances between adopted vs. bio, well I appreciate the honesty. If we can keep this kind of dialogue open, I think more people will feel more comfortable with their feelings.

Adoptive Momma said...

Please do! Linking can only help others, let's spread the word!

J said...

Great post! I don't worry about ourselves (my husband and I) but I do worry that our parents (mine and his) are not going to love our adopted children as much as their biological grandchildren because someday our sibblings will have children. Both sets of parents have assured us that they will love all of their grandchildren the same but we will never truly know until all the children are here.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Yes, a very good post. So very true. Our children have been home for almost two years now. We adopted our daughter when she was 18 months, and the combination of her personality, he background, and her age made it easy to attach to her. Our son, who was 2.5 when we adopted him, had difficult issues and was much harder to relate to. I remember lying in my bed and crying my eyes out because I wanted to love him as much as I loved my other children (we have 4 bio children as well). But I DEFINITELY know my love for him is growing. He has started to trust and we have bonded much better now.

Thanks for this. PAPs NEED to know that love isn't just magical. It grows.