2/7/10

Find An Adoption Attorney

How do I find an adoption attorney?  I have been contacted and asked this question many times.  There are many websites you can use to find a reputable lawyer.  I would recommend the following.

Super Lawyers - Super Lawyers is searchable by practice area and location.  Super Lawyers are identified and rated by their peers as preeminent in their field.
American Bar Association - Locate the contact information for your local bar association.  Your bar association will most likely have a referral list of adoption attorneys.
Martindale-Hubbell - Attorneys listed with Martindale-Hubbell are rated and reviewed by their peers.   You can search attorneys by location and practice area.
American Academy of Adoption Attorneys- AAAA is a national association of adoption attorneys.  The member directory can be used to locate an attorney near you.

It is common for attorneys to provide an initial consult for free.  Use the initial consult as an opportunity to meet and interview potential lawyers.  Also, I would contact local adoption agencies, advocacy groups, and adoptive parents to ask for their recommendations.  It is important to do your research to locate a lawyer who will put your needs first.  Adoption is a costly endeavor and legal fees should be kept to a minimum.  I would ask any attorney you interview whether they bill on an hourly basis or a flat fee.  A flat fee may be negotiable and more cost effective for you.

You will want to verify your attorney has successfully completed adoptions in the past and will be able to assure you proper paperwork will be filed and completed providing you peace of mind.  Finding a good attorney may require time and research on your part.  It will be well worth the effort.

3 comments:

Niki said...

Just found your blog from MckMama's blogfrog...

Fantastic advice. I'm an adoptive parent of one, and home study ready for baby number 2. (I just wrote that we were home study ready for #2 - but that didn't sound right. Made me chuckle though!)

Will be following your blog and sending others. Just spent a while reading previous posts...fantastic stuff. Your boys are so cute. My daughter (she's 2.5) looked at their picture and said, "I see boys. They cute!" :)

Have a great day!

J said...

Okay, so I have a question. All said and done, our adoption will cost us $13,500. Someone told me that a lawyer will cost less, is that true, lol, do you know that answer? Our agency will also not charge us until our birth parents sign TPR and our baby is ours legally. I heard lawyers do not do that and will take your money regardless if the baby becomes your legally.

Okay, so that is my question. love ya!

Anonymous said...

Thought I was followng you, but guess I wasn't....
Found you on adoptionvoices.com
still trying to make sense of it all :) I want to get progress going!!!