2/18/10

Oh Yeah, He's Adopted

The boys have both been sick recently.  Actually we have all been sick this winter.  Last Saturday, Rogan had to go to the urgent care clinic. When the doctor came in to examine Rogan he asked, "Do you have asthma in your family?"  "Oh yes, his dad has asthma....oh wait but he is adopted."  Rogan ended up having croup and an ear infection.  After a breathing treatment and a few prescriptions we were sent home.

Yesterday, it was Brice's turn.  He had been up all night the night before coughing and had told me his ear hurt.  I took him to the doctor yesterday afternoon.  Brice ended up having an ear infection too.  The doctor prescribed an antibiotic and a prescription cough medicine with codeine to help him sleep at night.  As I was telling my mom about the doctor's visit and the medication prescribed she reminded me to be aware of codeine reactions.  I said, of course we will keep a close eye on him.  She said, you know you are allergic, I am allergic, and your dad has had a bad reaction before.  Yes I said, I would be more worried but I did not make him remember?

You sort of forget.  Your children are such a part of you, even when you do not give birth to them.  I blog several times a week about adoption and I have to stop and think during doctor visits.  We have to remind ourselves their health history is not related to our own.


"Not flesh of my flesh, Nor bone of my bone, 
But still miraculously my own. 
Never forget for a single minute, 
You didn't grow under my heart - but in it"
Author: Fleur Conkling Heylinger

6 comments:

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

I had a lady tell me one time because I am crazy because I "forget" at time's that mist is adopted. ..lol...She is mine and I am her mother and that just it! Black and white!

Amy Snow said...

That is really sweet!

J said...

At the end of the day, he is YOUR SON *NOT* your ADOPTED SON! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I forget too. Love your blog.

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

I loved this post!

Cricket said...

As an adoptee, the medical history questions at the doctor's offices always made me cringe. And having to watch the doctor/nurse raise their eyebrows and write "Patient is adopted..no history".

I have a history...I just wasn't allowed to know it.

Not having the same medical history as your parents isn't a blessing...it's a curse.