11/4/10

Class Visitor

Brice received a big treat in his PreK class today, his daddy!  Brian was invited to come and speak to the class about his occupation.  Keep in mind he is a litigation attorney, not an exciting job to a group of 4-5 year olds.  Also, all the cool guys had already been there and made their presentations.  The EMTs brought their ambulance, a doctor was there with all his cool equipment, and most recently a carpenter who allowed the class to hammer nails into a piece of wood.  Those are tough acts to follow.

So, we had our work cut out for us to make the justice system interesting to preschoolers.  I was able to find a coloring book online which Brian printed and presented to the kids each with a small box of crayons.  The coloring book contained a story about everyone who works at the courthouse and Brian sat in the middle of the class circle and read it to them.  Brian also brought a judge's robe and gavel.  The kids banged the gavel and said, "order in the court!".

The class invited him to stay with them all day (unfortunately he had to return to work) and one little boy said he couldn't wait to go home and tell his dad all about Brian.  Needless to say, Brice's daddy was a big hit.  He has argued cases in front of state and federal courts, traveled cross country for depositions and hearings but this was by far his toughest audience.  

2 comments:

A Life Being Lived said...

This post has me smiling from ear to ear. I'm a birthmom and one thing I kept thinking of during my pregnancy (the father chose to not be involved) was that when it was "Bring Your Daddy to School" day, she would not have one. It killed me. This story has validated my reasons for placing my daughter with her family, tenfold today.

PS My sister is a litigation attorney as well. I'm in awe of her every day but yup, four year olds are definitely more impressed by firefighters :)

shelley said...

That is awesome!!!