11/30/10

Adoption Profile Update

I was reviewing our adoption portfolio today and realized it is now outdated.  Our youngest son who is 2 years old, is shown in our portfolio as our "21 month old".  Two year old sounds much older and as a birth mother reviewing our profile she could think we already have a baby, which a child whose age is counted in months definitely sounds like a baby.  He is very much an independent toddler and should be profiled as one.

Growing kids change quickly.  We change as well, life moves fast.  You want the family who is profiled to be the family the birth parent(s) meets when the time comes.  I do not want to be introduced and the birth parent(s) take one look at us and think, that's not the profile I chose.

So, I have decided to update our profile.  I will use the previous profile but update our ages, dates, and add new photos.

Am I getting impatient and starting to ache for a baby in my arms?  It's possible, but whatever helps me to feel better and to know I did everything I could to bring our baby home.  Peace of mind is worth a lot.

3 comments:

Muliebrity said...

How can one NOT be impatient? You really seem to recognize the journey, but "Are we there yet?" is a question that gets asked on every figurative and literal journey.

J said...

I agree with you. 2 year old sounds much better. We updated ours when we switched agencies for the same reason. We wanted her to feel she already knew us when she met us. We had an outdadted profile, and I'm glad we updated it. I have the itch as well!

April said...

I've experienced the need to update as well. I realized that our profile had to be updated (with adoption #2) when my child no longer looked like the infant in our photos. I didn't even mention her age, but included her birth year and month in the profile. In our most recent profile for adoption #3 I included ages of the kids and the month(or season) and year they were born.