1/25/10

Medical Coverage and Adoption

Are your adopted children covered by your medical insurance?  It depends on your insurance.  In our case, our children were covered under my individual policy.  Brian was insured through his workplace when we adopted our boys, I was not.  We had an individual policy in place for me when we adopted.  I simply called my insurance and told them we were adopting and I wanted to verify coverage.  They noted in my file an adopted child would be added and instructed me to notify them after placement.

Our policy covered our children retroactively to the date of their birth and I had 30 days to contact them after placement.  When we arrived home after the interstate compact paperwork was approved I called the insurance company and added our newly adopted child to our policy.  I received new insurance cards within a week or two.  Our pediatrician wanted to examine our children within a week after we arrived home so I made sure each was added to our insurance immediately.

It was not a difficult process to add our boys to my insurance policy, it simply took a few phone calls.

For more information on how insurance coverage applies to adopted children this article may be helpful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankfully our insurance will have an adopted child covered. one of the many things we've checked and double checked!

MommySquared said...

In California it is illegal to deny coverage to a child who is adopted into a family.