1/4/10

New Year's Resolutions

Do you make resolutions?  I usually do not.  However this year I have decided to set some goals for myself and hopefully by blogging about them, I will be held more accountable.

Numero uno is the ol' standby...lose some weight.  I need to lose weight, I achieved some significant weight loss last year but then I had knee surgery for the third time.  After my surgery, I completed my required physically therapy but was unable to go back to my intense workouts and needed to find something more low impact.  I failed.  I didn't find a low impact workout.  Frankly, it made me feel old. Low impact sounded like an activity for seniors, not my spry 33 year old self.  Well, I'm not so spry.  I may be young in years and young at heart but I have old knees.

So instead of pursuing a low impact fitness program, I did nothing.  No exercise whatsoever.  Way to go, now I'm practically starting all over again.  Duh!  I gained back most of the weight I lost and I began to eat junk again and drink way too much soda.  Oh Dr. Pepper...it calls to me.   I love it so.

Today, I started my low impact fitness routine with a morning workout video.  I achieved the goal I set for myself today.  Today's goal was to break a sweat.  Done.  The hardest part will be to keep going.  I'll try to do random updates here on my blog to let you know how I'm doing and if I slack off, call me on it.  Send me an email, holler at me on Facebook, or leave a comment telling me to workout.  I'll appreciate it.

My second goal is to continue to advocate for adoption.  I want to do more.  I'm working on a list of activities my family and I can do to get the word out and to encourage others to adopt.  My husband is serving as inspiration on this one.  He resigned from his law firm last month and will be opening his own firm February 1, 2009 with two other attorneys.  His business is litigation, for the most part he works in construction litigation.  He has decided he would like to start working on adoption finalizations.  He did a majority of the legal work to finalize Brice's adoption, so he's familiar with it.  He is looking forward to  adding adoption to his practice area.  A great way to serve adoption.  Legal work is an expensive part of the adoption process, he plans to assist people at an affordable rate.

Finally, my third goal is to strengthen relationships.  I want to continue to be close to my family and spend as much time as possible with family members.   I also want to attend church more often and give more of myself to my family and my church.  I want to be a great mother, daughter, wife, granddaughter, cousin, and daughter-in-law.  Overall, I want to be a better person.

I believe all three goals are overlapping.  What do you think?  I am sure I can achieve all three.  How about you?  Are you setting goals for 2010?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome about your husband going into adoption areas for work! Not sure which direction we're heading in, but have had conversations with a handful of attorneys and have considered going that route :)

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Sounds like some good goals! Love that the hubby is going into adoption! Hopefully I will need a good adoption lawyer one of these years!!:)

Celee said...

You're wise to keep it to three. I made 5 and they are very general, but I'm hoping to make progress in each of those areas. You might also try swimming if you haven't before. It can be a low impact way to exercise and increase the range of motion of your knee.

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Sounds like great goals! I'm right there with you on numero uno, actually re-joining WW tonight :)