1/5/10

Curious George

As I blogged here, we have chosen not to make an announcement to our sons about their adoption.  Instead, we talk about adoption openly in our house and how our family came together.  The last time I blogged about this topic Brice was 3 years old and did not have an understanding of what being adopted meant.  Now Brice is 4 years old and he is beginning to gain an understanding, I think.

The other morning, Brice and I were watching Curious George.  Ted (The Man In The Yellow Hat) was on the screen and I asked Brice if that was George's dad.  He said, "yep."  Did he adopt George?  Brice said, "Uh huh."  Finally I asked Brice, "are you adopted?"  His answer was, "yep, I'm dopted."  (As mentioned before, Brice is a kid of few words.  He doesn't talk a lot but he comprehends more than we probably know)

He is beginning to understand.  At least, we think he is beginning to understand what adoption means.  Or maybe he just thinks he's Curious George, it's possible.  He does seem to act a lot like him sometimes, always looking for trouble and acting like a little monkey.

Anyway, the point is we take opportunities to teach about adoption.  We never want  our boys to be surprised to hear they were adopted.  We do not want to make a big deal of it, but we want them to have an understanding.  Bottom line, they are our sons and we love them more than life.  Our family was formed a little differently than some, but we are a family.

1 comment:

MommyPhD.org said...

Thank you for sharing your approach! My daughter is 3 and we've handled this somewhat like you have, but we haven't been thoughtful enough, i don't think. Anna "knows" she is from Russia but has no idea what or where that is... she will say she is adopted, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't distinguish that from birth children. We are starting to think hard about how to deal with this as she becomes more aware. Thanks for giving me something to think about. Robin@ itsownterms.com