1/5/10

Tracking The Bad Guys

Our community has an online tracking system for sex offenders in our area.  After typing in our address, I found out we had 7 registered sex offenders living within 2 miles of our home.  What does this mean?  It means, I have now memorized seven faces and will be on the look out.  I do not believe knowing where they live gave me any peace of mind.  We live in a nice, fairly newly developed area.  I was somewhat surprised about the number of offenders living nearby.  Although not really, I know offenders come in all shapes, sizes, and social classes.

Now that I know, what happens if I run into one of these peeps at the store or gas station?  I'll stare, I just know it.  My mind will be thinking bad thoughts and judgments.  Not my job to judge them, but I probably will.  I already have.  Does knowing make my family any safer, doubt it.   We will be careful and continue to take safety precautions.

Do you pay attention to this information?  Does it give you any comfort?  Is it better to be oblivious?

5 comments:

shelley said...

I have done the same thing and also was surprised. It is hard not to judge and I think it made me a little more paranoid/protective. Even harder to take care of them when they come into the ER!

jennie said...

um yeah about that....sigh.

inadvertent farmer said...

We live in a very rural area that has a level 3 sex offender that has recently moved into. His face is plastered all over our little country store and telephone poles...I would not be surprised if the local yahoos don't run him out on a rail. Yes I keep track of this type of thing too.

Shamae said...

Interesting post. I follow my cities registery because I think being informed is wise...just so long as it doesn't make me paranoid. ;)

Anonymous said...

Scarier thought is that about a third listed in your neighborhood have moved and not updated their registry. Happens all too often, just because the address across the street doesn't pop up on the list, does not guarantee that a SO does not live there. Not trying to scare anyone, just a reminder to know whe lives in your neighborhood and next door. They are only on the list after they've been caught & convicted. Another unfortunate fact, very few SO are every caught on their first offense. Protect your kids! J Mitchell